Pages

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Baked Perogies in Cream


Yes, me bad. It’s been a while since my last post. I do have lots to get down on my blog. Such as, I’ve been to a cookbook signing, I went to a few restaurants and my Thanksgiving meal menu (which hopefully, I’ll post for Christmas). I'll try and get myself into gear....



Today, I am sharing a really easy and affordable recipe. I got this yummy dish idea from my supervisor at work. It’s easy, it's decadent - but does take time (like all great things) but it’s worth it. 

Ingredients:

1 Bag of Frozen Perogies (your favorite brand, don’t defrost)
2-3 Onions, sliced 
and/or 2 cups of sliced Mushrooms
2 Tbsp. Oil (Sunflower, grape seed or corn, avoid olive oil)
1 Tbsp. of Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
3/4 - 1 litre of Whipping Cream

Tools:

Fry pan, cutting board, knife, wooden spoon, lasagna pan, cookie sheet, serve spoon and foil.

Cook time: 1.5 - 2 hours and 30 minutes of prep time.

Serves: 4 Very hearty meals, or 6-8 side dish.

Preheat oven to 375. 

Lightly grease a shallow baking dish (like a lasagna pan) and place on top of a cookie sheet.

Slice the onions and/or the mushroom into somewhat thin slices. Heat the fry pan on medium heat, add the oil and sauté the onions/mushrooms until cooked or caramelized. I used onions, (had no mushrooms).


Just the right color...

I recommend to stir often, you don't want them to burn. I like my onions to turn somewhat a shade of light tan.  When you have your veggies cooked to your likeness, turn off the heat and put aside.

Empty the bag of frozen perogies into the baking dish, top with onions/mushrooms and spread it evenly.




Poor the whipping cream around the dish, making sure the perogies are covered. 

You might not need the whole carton. Just make sure the perogies are covered, since this is the liquid they are going to be cooked in. 

Shake a little salt and pepper on top to your liking.




Cover with foil and place into the oven. 

I keep the dish on top of a cook sheet in case there are any bubble overs. You won’t want to clean burnt cream on you oven.

Cook for 1.5 to 2 hours

See, there was a little boil over - good thing I had the cookie sheet

The cream will thicken and make the dish oh so decadent.

This is not a low calorie dish, but it’s the ultimate comfort food. Not sure how it would turn out if you use half n’ half, but I’m the kind of girl with an all or nothing thinking. I’ll have a salad tomorrow.


Until next time, 

No comments:

Post a Comment