Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

My visit to the Little Brick

Little Brick Café and General Store

 
With all the new houses and condos surrounding the Little Brick, it's nice to see this old house stand its ground.
Little Brick Cafe and general store is the fourth business owned and operated by Nate Box.  He is a young, entrepreneur that has an amazing knack for business. He first opened Elm Café, which is a spot my hubby and I visit (a lot) during the summer on our way to the downtown farmer's market. Their sammies are delish. Then Nate opened District, which lucky for me is only walking distance from my work. District Coffee Co. makes really good salads for lunch. Then there is Burrow, which I haven’t had a chance to check out yet. Burrow is a coffee shop is located in the Churchill LRT and serves breakfast items for busy commuters. Now, we have Little Brick.

Little Brick is Nate's newest venture and is located in the heart of the Riverdale community.   From what I heard, it’s a very welcomed addition to the hood, since the community does not have any coffee shops for the locals. 

Another thing I liked about Nate’s choice of area, was to use a historic 1903 house. I am a history buff and like the fact that this house was saved and used for community to use. The house belonged to J.B. Little. He owned the brickyard that was located in the Riverdale area.  A lot of bricks used to make homes and businesses in the early 1900’s were manufactured around the North Saskatchewan River, where the clay suitable for brick making could be found. You can find at Fort Edmonton Park the brickyard building what includes J.B. Little’s original brick making machinery. That is all for today’s history lesson, now back to coffee….

The first door you see is the staff entrance.

The coffee shop and store is very welcoming when you walk in. When you walk onto the property, you will have to walk around back to the main entrance (just follow the sidewalk).   When I walked around, I notice that the yard was very nicely landscaped and there were a few doggies tied up to trees waiting for their masters while they grabbed their coffee. Having a dog tied to a tree, laying on grass and in a fenced yard – as a dog owner, I think that I’d feel reassured that my baby won’t mind the 5 minutes of separation while I get my caffeine fix.

One of the puppies waiting for his/her owner to continue on their walk.

Follow the sidewalk to the main door.  Look straight and you will see a Boston Terrier waiting patiently.
The place is very light and airy. I am not a professional designer in describing how the place looked – but the house has kept its formal historic look (which i love). With the white paint, natural wood floor and clean lines - the place felt and looked very comfortable. I can see myself coming here with a group of friends and enjoy the time.

It was so busy, I didn't want to take too many pictures.
When you walk in, you find the small but very usable counter space. They serve coffee, some baked goods (muffins, biscotti and scones). There is also sandwiches. I just picked up a biscotti and a coffee and looked around the store.  The biscotti was salted caramel - yummy.

Some items on the shelves
The store sells locally made products and other coffee related items. I found some peanut butter made in Calgary, and various other food staples.

Hallway to the living room, dining room and the kitchen.
There is are large windows in the main coffee/store area. To the right of the main door is a hallway to two other rooms to enjoy your coffee and scone. There is a comfy living room area and the dining room has a communal table where people can work on their laptops.


If you are ever in the Riverdale area, I’d recommend coming in for a coffee. I have heard that there might be burgers and beer in the summer (see the news links below). I’ll be up for that.

Here is the general info:

Little Brick Café and General Store
1004 – 90 Street, Edmonton
Phone: 780-705-1230
Website:  littlebrick.ca
Parking: Parking lot in the back alley and front street parking.
Bus: 1, 308 & 88
Hours: not listed on the site, should be listed soon – they are just newly opened.


Here are some news links:



No comments:

Post a Comment